My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Well I'm a little uncertain...

So as my two readers know, I have started this blog for my Communications class and am encouraged (required, whatever) to have some of my blogs be about communications studies! So tonight, dear reader(s), I introduce to you UNCERTAINTY REDUCTION THEORY!

Here's the basic premise of this theory: when you first meet someone, you disclose more information about yourself than you normally would to reduce uncertainty. If you have high uncertainty (or if you're really nervous in a situation) then it is more likely that you will tell this stranger a little more than you would tell an acquaintance.

Since this is a theory that is published in a college text book, let's put it to good use. I am going to go over to a friend's room tonight where she is hanging out with two of her other freshman friends (I am a junior) that I do not know. While I am thrown into a situation like this awkwardly let's see how I interact with the two new girls. I'll test out the theory and see if it's all it's cracked up to be...

No comments: