My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Ernest Hemingway

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Real life is hard

Since I graduated over a year ago, my life has been making it from paycheck to paycheck. Before college, and during, I was convinced that all I needed was a college degree and I would be ushered into the Real World with a ready-made job with a nice paycheck and a cushy life. Wrong.

My friends around me are making things happen for themselves. They are designing blogs, furthering their education post-graduation and filling their portfolios with their work. But a lot of the things they are doing for their careers and with their degrees are easy to show. That is my good friend Janet and she is amazing at what she does.

But for me, it's not easy to put in jpeg format and post online for all to see. I'm a communicator. To see what I do best, come to Kanpai of Tokyo and watch me interact with guests at our restaurant. I use my skills that I learned from Clemson University to handle the public at that job. Even though I feel I am utilizing what I learned in school, I still feel I haven't reached my full potential and I won't be able to at this job.

I want to flex my literary muscles and actually work at something I'm good at for a paycheck. I love to write. That's simple. But how do I get a job that includes writing as a job asset? I guess it could be simple as well: start writing on this blog.

I'm going to take away from my friends Janet and Amanda and come up with a theme each week and write about it. (Go here to witness amazing converted into pictures and a blog).

Tomorrow I will start showcasing my skills and building up my portfolio. Stay tuned.

No comments: