My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Ernest Hemingway

Friday, March 7, 2008

Lipstick and Cashmere

So there seems to be a trend out now with empowered females who kick butt in the business world. I watched Cashmere Mafia first and fell in love. I don't think it's so much the empowered female aspect but just the good plots, talented actresses and great writing. And it's spreading to other shows as well.

I was at the book store the other day and saw the book Lipstick Jungle and saw that it had been turned into a television show. I'm not a big fan of Brooke Shields but it looked a lot like Cashmere Mafia and I wanted to give it a shot. Turns out it's just like Cashmere but with only three girlfriends instead of four. Also, Lipstick is not afraid to show some skin. It's not nearly as graphic as Nip/Tuck but it's enough to make your tummy tingle.

But if you're on the side of females in charge, it definitely gives you plenty of that. The three women in Lipstick Jungle are the most successful business women out there and know it. It shows us all aspects of a love life when the roles of power are switched: a happily married Wendy (Brooke Shields), a married Nico (Kim Raver) with a mister on the side, and a single Victory (Lindsay Price). Both shows are clever but it makes one wonder if one's not just modeled after the other.

Whichever it is, I know I'll be in front of the television at ten o clock on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

No comments: