My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Jumper


So I just went to see the movie Jumper with my sister-in-law this past weekend, so it's time for a movie review! (yayyy)

Here's the synopsis I found on SmartCine.com: The science fiction thriller leaps into a new realm with JUMPER, which begins the epic adventures of a man who discovers that he possesses the exhilarating ability to instantly teleport anywhere in the world he can imagine. From New York to Tokyo, from the ruins of Rome to the heart of the Saharan Desert, anywhere is possible for David Rice (HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN), until he begins to see that his freedom is not total, that he's not alone . . . but part of an ongoing, global war that threatens the very survival of his rare and extraordinary kind.

I was a little hesitant to go see it because I had just recently seen the movie Shattered Glass (I was forced to for school) and a guy at Blockbuster told me it would have been a good movie if Hayden Christensen wasn't such a bad actor. I'm not sure if it was because the guy got it in my head, or he really was that bad...but I was thinking this when I bought the ticket to Jumper.

The beginning was great; it gave us just enough background information. The concept was brilliant, and the part where he was learning how to teleport was hilarious. I'm big on the tone of the movie. I think tone is set with lighting and how the director interprets the script. The lighting of the movie was fitting. I remember seeing the new Superman film and thinking that the darkness of the movie wasn't very fitting, but I guess they wanted to go dark. Well the darkness fit with Jumper because, while it had it's comedic moments, it was a drama. The choices the director made were great, too. I'm not sure if the script called for the ground to break where he teleported to, but that made it POWERFUL.



The actors and actresses made it great, too. This is a big step up from Shattered Glass for Christensen. I must say he did a good job of acting and not indicating (bad, bad form of acting). Rachel Bilson did a beautiful job of being beautiful and coy; she's such a great actress, I was happy to see her in this film. Now Samuel L. Jackson is worth a whole 'nother blog. The man is a legend and I am so jealous these actors got to act with him. He was amazing and played one scary bad guy.

So I am pleased to say I enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to you avid movie goers out there. And to all the average Joe's as well :)

No comments: