My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Director of the week

Joss Whedon. This man is an institution. Not only has he created three television shows (one of which was wildly popular) but he writes for the funniest shows out there as well.

I am in love with Joss Whedon because of his ingenious writing. His ability to create this fabulous worlds that are dark and hilarious at the same time while keeping the writing sharp and witty is...positively amazing. All three of his television shows (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly) are part of my TV shows on DVD collection. When I first started watching BtVS someone told me that the only people he knew of watching that show were fanatics. I thought I was impervious to that, but Whedon's words drew me in. I'm not sure what parts of his shows I enjoy the most, but I think it is the characters and their relationships. And their dialogue; if only I could speak like Buffy or Xander.

But apart from the small little charms that Whedon puts into his shows, it amazes me how one man can be so determined. A lot of people I put onto pedestals and think that they are a different kind of species; that they aren't made of the same things that I'm made of. Sort of like Bill Gates and Einstein. But Joss Whedon is just another witty writer (something that I aspire to be) who put forth this amazing work and determination to succeed, and did so. I'm not an overachiever by any means, but maybe I can make my dreams come true (cliche, but go with me here) by looking to what he did. I only need to make small efforts to do what he did. Put together a portfolio and send it off to some amazing magazine.

I choose Joss Whedon as my director of the week (or basically just person of the year in my diary) because this one guy created three of my favorite television shows. His vision was put out there for others to take part in and ENJOY and without him, without his writing or part in the creation, I would not have a sanctuary to go home to today. I would not have Angel and his group of friends waiting in my DVD player to keep me warm from the snow. So thank you, Joss Whedon.

And for those of you who are interested in Joss Whedon and his projects, go here: it's very lovely :)

1 comment:

SergeAMH said...

Very nice beginning to your blog :) I'm not really that familiar with Whedon's work, or many tv director, really, but I love many tv shows and am mad about movies! I wanted to thank you for your keen insight on my post on hit songs, also. I studied communications in college, too!