My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Ernest Hemingway

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

She actually slays vampires...

I wanted to dedicate a blog post to the illustrious vampire slayer Buffy Summers. Before I started to watch Buffy obsessively, I was talking to a friend about it. I told her that the couple of episodes were really good, so it might be a show to watch. She then informed me that every fan of BtVS she's ever encountered has been a fanatic. I just laughed and said the only show I'll ever be obsessed with is Friends. Oh how wrong was I.

In my communications class (which I'm sure I talk about constantly in my blogs) I've chosen the show as the topic for my literature review. Basically what a literature review is is a summary of all the research done on your topic. Since I was urged by my teacher to choose a topic I wouldn't easily get bored of, I went with my favorite television show.

Instead of getting into all the gory details of the literature review, I want to talk about why I chose Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I would like to say I'm an expert on the show, but I think other than just an avid watcher I'm as average as the next fan when it comes to the technical aspects of Buffy. Researching this will be fun because while I know about every drama aspect of the show, I will become informed on the small little quirks that are very important to the story line. Like why they dress her in the girliest clothes possible to go a-slaying and the way that they talk (very funny quips and sarcastic remarks) and how they show has affected the real world we live in.

I fell in love with the show after I saw the fifth season premiere, "Buffy Vs. Dracula." The character Xander is enthralled by Dracula and has become his slave and in this "trance" comes the funniest lines of the episode. The gang is brainstorming ways to defeat Dracula when Xander shouts from his corner, "No one can defeat the dark master!!! ....bater." They didn't know he was Dracula's bitch so he covered it up with one funny form of the word masturbation.

So based on my love for watching this television show I want to research the parts that make it so great. Maybe my whole senior thesis won't be as boring and tedious as I thought. Buffy expert in the making.

No comments: